On December, Pan Stanford Publishing will publish “The Magnesium Civilization” (English Edition).
The use of fossil fuels damages the global environment, and the supply of oil is becoming unstable. However, it is difficult to fully replace fossil fuels with renewable energy sources like solar cells.
A magnesium-recycling society is a promising solution against these problems. Seawater contains 1800 trillion tons of magnesium, which can be smelted with “solar-pumped lasers” created directly from sunlight. Thus magnesium acts as a solar-energy reservoir. It can be used for metal-air-fuel cells for automobiles and power plants. An automobile with a zinc-air-fuel cell achieved a mileage of 600 km in 2003, and a magnesium-air-fuel cell can give 3 times more energy which is 7.5 times more effective than that of a lithium-ion battery. Solar-pumped laser regenerates metal magnesium from combusted magnesium oxide.
Moreover, low-cost desalination with solar power will be a promising solution to the global water shortage.
The Time magazine elected Prof. Yabe as one of the “Heroes of the Environment, 2009.”
With this book, Prof. Yabe proposes a revolutionary approach to the renewable energy issue with the magnesium civilization concept. His invention is a method to not only produce energy without harming the environment but also produce clean water, another most important substance for the sustenance of life. The technology generates laser from sunlight and magnesium from seawater with a resource lasting 100,000 years! (Recep Ozkan, Chairman, Japan International Group Corporation)
Dr. Takashi Yabe has proposed an extremely well-reasoned argument for why (and how) we could conceivably switch to a magnesium civilization to fuel our world and our future. We ignore this book at our own risk. (James P. Clark, Founder/Chairman, The World Technology Network)
Dr. Takashi Yabe and Mr. Tatsuya Yamaji’s work is a great example of Japan’s leadership, innovation and thoughtfulness for the global environment. Just as the name suggests, it holds the potential of transforming our world to a real sustainable energy civilization. Truly inspirational and a must, not just to read, but to act upon! (Sanjeev Sinha, President, Sun and Sands Advisors, Japan)
Table of Contents:
- Chapter 1: Natural Energy and Hydrogen Society: Alternatives to Oil Civilization?
- Oil Civilization: A Beginning of an End
- Will Oil Disappear, or Not?
- Global Warming Worsening
- You Cannot Stop the Growth of the World Economy
- Is There an Alternative Energy Source to Oil and Coal?
- Can Solar Power Generation Meet the Energy Demands of Japan?
- Electricity Is Not Storable
- Use Solar Light/Heat, Wind Power, and Terrestrial Heat as Local Energy Sources
- Is a Hydrogen Society Feasible?
- Nuclear Fusion Is the Energy of the Future
- Thinking about New Energy and Circulation of Resources
- The Material That Becomes the New Energy Source Is Magnesium
- Because It Is Expensive, Magnesium Is Not Used as Fuel
- Produce Laser with Sunlight to Smelt Magnesium
- Extract Magnesium from Seawater
- Recycle Used Magnesium by Sunlight
- The Magnesium Cycle, at a Stage Just Before Practical Use
- Chapter 2: Make Laser from Sunlight
- It All Started with Laser
- Laser Is Used in Every Field, from Information and Communication to Medical Care
- In Nature, Light Is a Mixture of Various Types of Lights
- Laser Synchronizes the Wavelengths and Timing of Waves
- Creating Laser Beams
- Days Spent for Realization of Laser Fusion
- The Realization of Nuclear Fusion Fades Away
- Flying a Rocket with Laser
- Converting Sunlight Directly into laser
- Use Laser for Metal Smelting
- Magnesium Has a High Market Price, and It Is a Good Target
- Is It Possible to Convert Sunlight into laser?
- Sunlight Turned into Laser
- Funds Were Obtained, But Not the Laser
- Building an Experiment Facility in Chitose, Hokkaido
- An 80 W Laser Was Oscillated in Hokkaido
- I Was at a Loss about the Fund-Raising for Laser Research
- Making a Laser Medium with Ceramics, Not a Crystal
- A Reflecting Mirror Was Not Necessary for Collecting Sunlight
- Cooling a Laser Medium by Solar Energy
- For Power Generation in Space, Weight Is a Problem
- One Laser Generator Costs 500,000 Yen or Less
- The Realization of a 400 W Laser Output Is Getting Close
- Increasing the Precision of the Fresnel Lens
- The Improvement of the Laser Medium Also Advances
- Chapter 3: Making Magnesium with Laser
- Is It Possible to Smelt Magnesium with Laser as Expected?
- Electrolysis, Once a Mainstream Method, Is Hardly Used Now
- The Pidgeon Method: Magnesium Smelting with Large Amounts of Coal
- We Use Chemical Reaction Because There Is No Method to Obtain High Energy
- The Laser Smelting Method That Breaks the Ties of the Atoms
- With a Laser That Focuses at One Point, the Whole Furnace Does Not Become Hot
- When the Laser Is Irradiated, Magnesium Oxide Vaporizes Instantly
- Smelting Magnesium with an Arrangement of 300 Lasers
- How Much Magnesium Can You Smelt?
- Overcoming the Pidgeon Method at a Price
- Laser Can Smelt Any Kind of Metal
- Laser Research Continuously Produces Important By-products
- The Simulation Technique, the “CIP Method”, Is Now Used Worldwide
- Chapter 4: Burning Magnesium
- If the Price of Magnesium Becomes Less Than 150 yen/kg, It will Be Usable as Fuel
- The Overheated Competition for the Development of the Next-Generation Car
- The Current Car Powered by an Internal Combustion Engine
- The Hybrid Car with a Gasoline Engine and an Electric Motor Is a Realistic Solution
- The Shift from an Internal Combustion Engine to an Electric Motor
- The Electric Car Has Problems with the Battery and Infrastructure
- Development of the Fuel Cell Car Is Not Making Progress
- Use Magnesium as Fuel for Cars
- The Hydrogen Fuel Cell Is No Good
- Air Battery That Does Not Generate Hydrogen
- A Zinc Air Battery Car Succeeded in Running 524 km
- The Proof Experiment for the Magnesium Air Battery
- Electric Car versus Magnesium Air Battery Car
- The Train Also Runs Using a Magnesium Air Battery
- The Future Ship Goes to Sea with Laser and Magnesium
- Magnesium Can Be Put into Electronic Equipment
- Make Fuel from Magnesium for Thermal Power Stations
- Chapter 5: Extracting Freshwater and Magnesium from Seawater
- Where Can We Find the Material for Metal Magnesium?
- The World Will Face a Serious Crisis of Water Resources in 2025
- Entering an Intensifying World Water Business
- Current Desalination Techniques Consume a Vast Amount of Energy
- The Reverse Osmosis Membrane Method Cannot Meet the Demand for Freshwater
- A Desalination Device Inspired by Fish-Farming Device
- I Challenge the World Water Business with the Desalination Device
- Japan Is Starting Late in the World Water Business
- Chapter 6: The Magnesium-Recycling Society Is Coming!
- Realization of the Magnesium-Recycling Society: A Road Map
- Make Profit by Selling Desalination Devices
- I Will Push Forward with the Construction of the Solar-Energy-Pumped Laser Generator
- Magnesium Use as Fuel Will Come True
- In the Magnesium-Recycling Society, What Changes?
- Laser Smelting Changes the Ways in the Metal Industry
- If Magnesium Comes to Be Used as Fuel
- Life in Developing Countries Will Be Influenced Drastically
- Promotion of High-Level Use of Solar Heat Accelerates Recycling
- How Much Carbon Dioxide Can We Reduce by Replacing Oil with Magnesium?
- A Desalination Device That Does Not Use Electricity Can Easily Achieve This Carbon Dioxide Reduction
- The Japanese Should Enjoy Science More